- Install only what you need on the host machine. Keep your OS and applications current for both virtual and host machines.
- Isolate each virtual machine you have by installing a firewall. Only allow approved protocols to be deployed.
- Ensure that antivirus programs are installed on the virtual machines and kept current with updates. Virtual machines, like physical machines are at risk for viruses and worms.
- Utilize strong encryption between the host and virtual machines.
- Avoid internet surfing from the host computer. Spyware and malware could easily infiltrate through the the host computer and spread to the virtual machines.
- Prevent unauthorized access by securing accounts on the host machine.
- Only use what you need. If you’re not utilizing a virtual machine, shut it down.
- If a virtual machine does not need to connect with each other, isolate it. Use a separate network card on a different network range.
- Monitor the event log and security events on both the host machine and on the virtual machine. These logs need to be stored in your log vault for security and for auditing purposes at a later date.
- Ensure that any hardware you use is designed for VM usage.
- Strictly manage remote access to virtual machines and especially to the host machine, this will make exposure less likely.
- Remember, the host machine represents a single point of failure. Technologies like replication and continuity help with reducing this risk.
- Avoid sharing IP addresses. Again this is typical of sharing a resource and will attract problems and vulnerabilities.
- Don’t share network storage on the network unprotected.
14 Tips to Secure Your Virtual Machine Environment
October 5, 2012
Table of Contents
Dedicated Servers Quick Guide
What is a Dedicated Servers? Why bother using a dedicated server over a VPS or Shared Hosting?A dedicated server is a server 100% dedicated to your website/project or business needs.
vCops: Empty dashboard after the upgrade to version 5.6
This came to me as a surprise when I upgraded to vCenter Operations 5.0.3( vApp ) to vCenter Operations 5.6, instead of what I was expecting I got an empty
How to install and configure Slim Framework on Ubuntu 14.04
This post is to show how to install and configure slim framework on a VPS. We assume that you have a LAMP( or your preferred )stack installed on Ubuntu.if your
vSphere 5.0 Update 1 and Related Product Launches
VMware has unveiled a point release update to several of their products tied to the vSphere 5 virtual cloud datacenter platform plus a few new product launches. vCenter 5.0 Update
How to install and secure phpMyAdmin on Ubuntu 14.04
phpMyAdmin was created to enable users interact with MySQL through a web interface. This tutorial will discuss how to install and secure phpMyAdmin so that you can safely use it
How to install and configure OpenLDAP on Ubuntu 14.04 Server
LDAP, or lightweight directory access protocol, is a protocol designed to manage and access associated information in a centralized, hierarchical file and directory structure. It operates like a relational database